Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ipod-induced musings...

Today I went to Sofia with my Archaeology class. It was so much fun and the weather in Sofia today was absolutely beautiful. The bus rides provided me with quite a bit of time to sit and think about everything that has happened to me in the past year and everything that is coming up in the year to come.

All of this thinking was underscored by the shuffle function on my ipod and I am one of those people who is totally swayed by the music playing at given moments. I like to think of it as the soundtrack to my scripted movie life. Songs influence my mood.

So I was thinking about all of the changes that I've been through and all the changes that are coming and I got a bit emotional. As completely and totally excited I am about going home, I'm also sad to leave Bulgaria. I mean, I can order food now. People understand me about 15% of the time in general conversations! I think that's a big deal.

And we're so, so excited about moving to Boston and setting up house and becoming urbanites, but at the same time we are scared out of our minds. We've never done this before. I have never lived outside of NC and Nathan only lived somewhere else until he was 4. We've never had to look for jobs with such energy and urgency and, let me tell you, it is not fun. Or rather, it is really to dream about how great jobs sound in the description, but it is not fun to get no responses or leads. We have less than 2 months to go and we are still not employed. We don't even have inklings of employment yet. We've never lived so far from all the people we love (minus the babygirls and the Boston siblings). I mean, we've lived away from the Princess and the Environmental Cop for 4 months now, but can we handle nothing more than once-a-year visits for the rest of our lives? I've never gone more than 3 months without seeing my parents.

There are a lot of super scary things in the future, but you know what's great? We're married. To each other. I'm so glad we don't have to do this alone. Worse yet, we could have to still be dating and just try to do this separately. No way.

It's also great that we've had this time in Bulgaria to start our married life. Just think, we've learned to be perfectly content only hanging out with each other. We've learned to live with less than 100 pounds of stuff (and be happy!). We've learned to eat a lot less and spend a ton less money and be content. It's good.

And in other (completely unrelated) news, if you want to hear spoken Bulgarian rent "Terminal" with Tom Hanks. It came out in 2003 or 2004 and is about a man who can't get through customs and is stuck in an airport terminal. Tom's wife, Rita Wilson, is the daughter of Bulgarians and both she and Tom speak Bulgarian. Oh, and it's a good movie, although my prospective on it has totally changed in the past 4 months.

And in other, other news: I got accepted to Boston University.

2 comments:

LAA said...

It is a great joy in life to be married to the person you love most in the whole world.

Libby said...

Rachel,

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog today! I'm so impressed that you've been living in Bulgaria- and also by all your travels. I am clearly going to have to set aside some time so I can properly enjoy reading through your archives. Dan and I have been to both Turkey and Greece in recent years and would love to return to either.

Regarding Boston: fret not. Believe me, I know that is SO much easier said than done, but I hope it helps to hear it. It sounds to me like you've got some family here already, and don't forget that Boston is full of people your age because of all the colleges and universities. Congratulations, by the way, on your acceptance to BU. If you have any Boston-specific questions please feel free to email me, there's an email link in my profile.

Good luck with the move!