Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Recent Photos...

Sorry this first photo is blurry. I included it because it really sums up the past day and a half: tortilla chips (for Nathan--I eat bake rolls), homemade salsa (lovingly made by Nathan) and The Office. We can't get the new episodes online here, so if someone could tape that, we would really appreciate it. Also, those of you involved in Summit 05 will recall how Nathan loves to chop things (see: early morning Summit 05 fruit salad). Well, he also makes killer salsa.
Strawberries have arrived! I ate 500 grams worth yesterday. By myself. I was very selfish and Nathan only got one strawberry.
Our new favorite meal: lettuce, tomato and cheese sandwiches. Yum!
This is me rocking out in my Red Sox hat, courtesy of the Boston sibs. I love it! I haven't snagged a picture of Nathan in his tshirt yet, so check back later.
So I promised photos from Rila Monastery 10 days ago...here they are!

The monastery was built in the late 1100s (I think), but most of that burned down. The buildings in these pictures are 200 or so years old. Wikipedia has a great article on Rila. It is included as UNESCO World Heritage site, so there is a good bit of information out there about it. We live about 30 minutes away.

This is Mama and Daddy outside of the icon shop.
Here is the brook that runs next to the Monastery. Oh, and there were dogs and cats everywhere because the priests take care of them. Also, the cats are treated very well, so they aren't scared of humans. I actually got to play with some of them!
Top of the main church.
The monastery grounds with the mountains in the background. The founder of the monastery spent his life in a cave in these mountains. I couldn't stop thinking about how cold Ivan Rilski must have been. Seriously. We dressed for the weather in Blago (we didn't think about how the change in altitude would affect us) and were really, really cold all day.
And here are storks nesting in Rila town! That's a sure sign of Spring in Bulgaria!

No comments: