Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ya'll Ready For This?

Whoa. Classes are intense. INTENSE!

Here's the thing--I'm not Bulgarian. I didn't grow up in the Balkans. I've never lived under a Communist government.

In other words, I don't have the mental furniture that everyone else has. In my Bulgarian history class, the professor has to translate the guest speakers for me because they don't know English. Also, we have an oral history project where we have to interview one of our Bulgarian relatives (!) which I'm currently fresh out of.

There are only 7 people in that class--me and 6 Bulgarian guys. My professor, who took a liking to me when I told her about my thesis, calls me the "minority of minorities." How true.

In my Byzantine history class, the professor cracked culture jokes which I totally didn't get because I'm not from these parts, so to speak.

It is absolutely fascinating. Call me a geek, but I'm so jazzed to study historiography with these people. In both of these classes (my only History classes) we are studying the evolution of the historiography and interrogating sources in the light of a free society.

My Bulgarian history professor told the guys: "No matter how open-minded you think you are, things we discuss will make you uncomfortable because we will discuss the truth which is not what you learned in school."

She was inspired by Lies My Teacher Told Me which is a very interesting work about US History. The difference is, however, that while our history was incorrectly taught, it was not done so on pain of death (in most instances). The things I've already learned about Bulgarian history, however, I was afraid to even tell Nathan in a public place (although there were few to none English speakers about) because of how revolutionary these statements are.

I guess what I'm rambling about is--I don't, and probably will never, fully understand the Balkan mindset. Added to that, I am a senior-level History student who is also an American and has therefore been taught the importance and power of the truth. I bring that mental furniture that others don't have.

Nathan has been getting some of the same in his Economics classes. It is somewhat frustrating to always be asked to speak on behalf of your entire country. We're so varied!

It has also become undeniably clear that just as our media does not fully paint an accurate picture of other countries, people in other countries do not know the real, full story of the US. Nathan and I don't start sentences however with "I know that in your country that...," but they start sentences with "Well, I know that in America that..."

Ah...study abroad. Also, people seem to think that because we're from the South that we're insanely conservative. And most hurtful was when Nathan and a guy from Azerbajahn were discussing religion, the guy said, "Well I know you don't understand true brotherhood in religion because I know that in America blacks and whites are not allowed to go to church together." Nathan tried to explain how wrong that was, but I don't think it worked.

On lighter notes, I have lots of pictures to show you as soon as we get internet in our rooms. We found peanut butter in the market yesterday which IS SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!! European markets don't normally sell peanut butter and I paid way too much for it--but now I can fill up on non-cheese protein!

I'm sorry this was so long and rambly, but trying to catch you up on highlights from the past few days at once is hard to do.

Keep saying prayers for my graduate school applications--I'm applying to Boston University, Brandeis University and Simmons College.

Oh, and the proofs of wedding photos are now online so email me and I can send you the link!

No comments: