Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sofia....eh....

Well, not to be the bearer of Debbie Downer news, but yarn was not purchased in Sofia. Or big knitting needles. I only found one yarn shop and everything was super handspun and so cost 60 Leva per kilogram. Whoa.

That means that I'm going to await needles and yarn from the US and knit something smaller wedding surPRIZES with yarn I can find here.

Hmpf.

Yesterday in Sofia we did get to see the changing of the guard ceremony and go to an Orthodox worship service which were both cool experiences. I also found a Lebanese restaurant and ate falafel and hummus so some cravings were silenced. The "Mexican" restaurant was, unfortunately, a non-vegetarian-friendly Taco Bell-esque thing.

The biggest disappointment was served up by Dunkin Donuts however--no bagels, no coffee, nothing I wanted from them. I got to buy a donut for Tanya and that was my only success with them.

It was so strange to see Bulgarians wolfing down KFC, Pizza Hut, McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts. And most definitely they were super popular. I mean, KFC is everywhere.

I don't want it to seem like Sofia was a downer experience. It was just that we spent a lot of money and didn't see a ton. We couldn't find the Methodist church or really much.

Our hotel was super cute however. The lady who owned it didn't speak English but she was super chatty and nice and it was clean.

I think we hit our culture shock/homesickness point this weekend. I just want to feel clean. It sounds so petty to write, but I just really want to not feel dingy and smelly and to not be surrounded by pollution and smoke. Sigh.

No comments: