Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Things Are Looking Up...

It seems that I am coming out of my "I've been in Bulgaria for a month" funk. A number of factors have contributed to this:

1. Nathan resolved himself to make me smile. This is how he works. So...
2. We bought tickets to go to France at the end of the month for 8 days. Even more fun,
3. These tickets include a 14 hour layover in Rome so that we can walk around there and eat dinner in Romantic Rome.

I'm jazzed.

We also FINALLY (after a month of paperwork and waiting) got our meal plans yesterday afternoon. This is great. It pretty much means we don't have to spend any more out of pocket money on food for the rest of our time here. We can now devote our entire budget to travel.

Next hard decision: Athens or Istanbul with my Byzantine Empire class?

I also have a lot of rambly thoughts in my head right now that I cannot for the life of me put into a coherent flow (thanks, espresso). Thus, I will do a bulleted list of things in my mind:

1. Many people told me before I left to pay attention to fashion in Europe because it is the cream of the crop and the future of American fashion. If that is the case, let me be the first to tell you that soon we will also dress like Malibu Barbies. Watch out. Sequined baseball caps. I kid you not. Neon stirrup pants. Seriously. Remember 80s night at the club? How everyone dressed in really outlandish and stereotypical 80s garb? That's what we're talking about. Seriously. Someone design some new clothes before that floods our malls.

2. Meal plans mean more Bulgarian food. Today I had feta and tomato salad (domat zalata) with some spinachy rice dish. Delicious.

3. Thursday is not significant in Bulgaria for being Valentine's Day. They have their own 14th of February festival. It is the day that everyone trims their vineyards in anticipation of spring. Then, on March 1st everyone ties red thread to trees and bushes to give them incentive to bloom.

4. Homemade wine is a huge deal here. It is what you do when you're old--take care of your grandchildren and make wine. They also like homemade liquor like plum brandy.

5. You know how you entice people to come to your school event by promising free food? Here it is free pizza and wine.

6. My Byzantine professor told us a personal story tonight that I want to pass on to you. When he was young, in the very early 1970s, he was riding a streetcar in Sofia next to a very old man. From the streetcar window they saw some people littering. The old man said, "Hey boy. In my day we had a name for hooligans like that--Communists." My professor freaked out and started looking over his shoulder to see if anyone heard. The man told him, "Calm down. No one can hear us. But listen. I will not see a free Bulgaria, but you will. I know you will. Just remember that even when Bulgaria is free it will not be like my Bulgaria from the 1930s. It will be forever ruined, never again clean or prosperous. Before Communism I could take my family, on my worker's salary, to Paris for a month on vacation." And the man stood up and left the streetcar.

7. I'm terrified of Russia. Every day when I go to class and discuss Russia more I become increased afraid. Cold War Phase Two, anyone?

8. Super big congratulations to my dear BFF Sally on her ubersuccessful grown-up achievements. I'm so jazzed for her!

Stay warm, Americans!

1 comment:

LAA said...

I'm glad Nathan made you smile. Tell him he's still my favorite son-in-law!